When a log home resort community is developed, the interiors, exteriors and the entire set-up appears too dreamy to...
Attain Complete Shower Restoration with Health and Hygiene | pFOkUS
Have you ever wondered why people go to lavish hotels to stay for a couple of days? The very idea of living in a fragrant, beautiful and well-maintained hotel room and using a luxurious bathroom excites many. Most of you get good bathrooms made at home too, but after a few years, it starts losing the charm and beauty it once had. The reason for this is that you probably have not invested in the proper bathroom and shower restoration products over the years. In this article, we shall guide you on how to get a complete, beautiful, healthy and hygienic shower restoration with the right products and procedures.
pFOkUS products have been manufactured after years of research. All our products are science-backed and shower-surfaces-approved. We have studied the common problems in bathrooms and showers and developed products that cater to those issues. Today, we are one of the pioneers of the restoration products manufacturing companies in the US. We stress on the fact that our products help you get a ‘HEALTHY’ and hygienic shower as they can eliminate the very causes of germs, mold and mildew in a damp and humid bathroom. Let us go through this step-by-step.
A bathroom is one of the most roughly used areas in a home. Those who get hard water in their taps also face the issue of hard water stains on their bathroom surfaces. Tile and grout may crack over a period of time. Caulk may get deteriorated and shower enclosures may start leaking. There are numerous issues that may occur after some time in a bathroom. Here are the main areas you need to concentrate on for bathroom cleaning and restoration.
Bathroom and Shower Floors:
Showers may be enclosed by glass doors and they are often the dirtiest. The rest of the bathroom floors also get dirty and covered by mold often as they are very humid. The main problems faced on the floors are:
- Soap Scum Accumulation
- Hard Water Stains on tile
- Other Dense stains of dirt, dust and grime
- Grout stains and discoloration
- Etched tile surfaces due to the use of acidic cleaners or spills from shampoos and lotions.
- Cracked tile and grout
- Peeling or cracked caulk
- Efflorescence on shower tile
- Lustreless bathroom and shower tile
Cleaning Tile and Grout on the Floors:
All these issues need to be rectified one by one. First, you need to focus on cleaning the stains. If you have installed natural stone tile, you can expect the stains to be deep-rooted, because of their porous nature. As grout is porous too, the stains are deeply embedded in grout as well.
Imperia Deep Clean is the best solution to remove all these deep-rooted stains. This deep-soaking cleaner from pFOkUS enters the pores of natural stone tile and grout and removes all traces of mold, mildew, germs, and dense stains. It easily removes hard water stains from tile and grout, without damaging the beauty and sheen of the surface. This cleaner does not cause any etching on the surface just like acidic cleaners do. It is gentle on the surface and tough on the stains. Imperia Deep Clean can also be used on sinks in a bathroom. But if the sinks are made from cultured marble, then you need to use Benaz, which is explained further below.
Here is How you can Use Imperia Deep Clean:
- First, add the concentrated solution of Imperia Deep Clean in the sprayer bottle.
- Now fill the same bottle with 1 gallon of water to dilute the cleaner.
- Fill a second sprayer bottle with hot water. If you add a small amount – 8 oz of alcohol to this solution, it will act as a neutralizer and help the solution to dry out faster.
- Once the solutions are ready, you can begin spraying from one extreme end to the other.
- Spray on the floor and allow to dry for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Again apply Imperia on the floors and do not wait for it to dry, instead start scrubbing.
- Scrub with a scrubbing tool in a back and forth motion to remove dirt and stains from tile and grout.
- Next, retract the shower floor and the corners.
Cracked Tile and Grout Repair:
After cleaning tile and grout, you will be able to notice the cracks, crevices, pits and holes in your grout and tile very well. Most contractors suggest to change the entire tile in case of a crack and also offer to regrout the cracked grout. But, if you do not have a spare tile, you are clueless about how to get your tile repair done. Similarly, regrouting is nothing but adding a band-aid over damaged grout, which eventually leads to crevices and cracks again, making your grout look dirty within months.
pFOkUS offers permanent solutions for cracked tile and grout repair. You can repair these damages with Sentura – a two-part pigmented flexible solvent-based epoxy/resin, based on 1200 psi adhesion that covers cracks, holes, pit and hairline fractures in just one coating. It delivers a neat looking uniform surface.
Here is How you can Apply Sentura to Fix Cracked Tile and Grout:
- Mix the contents of containers A and B in the empty container.
- Put mixed material into the applicator bag.
- Fill all the cracks and voids with Sentura.
- Use water to smooth Sentura.
- Sentura can also be used to fix a loose tile, if any.
Caulk Replacement on the Shower Corners:
Caulk tends to peel off from the shower corners in wet settings. In dry conditions, it wears off, leading to empty spaces in the shower corners. Mold quickly prowls on the chance and lays its roots there. Not only is caulking a temporary solution, it also looks quite bulky.
Instead of shower caulk removal and re-caulking, you can seal the shower corners with Sentura. It waterproofs all of the corners to prevent the development of mold. Sentura is accessible in a range of 40 colors. Sentura has to be applied to the shower corners the same way as explained above.
Have you ever noticed a powdery white deposit on your tile and grout? If it is quite thick and does not leave the surface easily, in spite of scrubbing, it might be efflorescence. It is nothing but a residue of mineral and calcium deposits that came up due to masonry. Efflorescence needs to be removed immediately, else it can ruin the tile and grout and even clog the drain. You need a strong chemical to remove this build-up effectively.
pFOkUS manufactures a high-quality chemical known as Zido. It can easily remove any powdery residue left behind on the tile and grout without having to scrub it or scrape it with a sharp tool. It loosens the bonds and easily removes the build-up, giving you a clean and clear surface beneath.
Here is How you should Remove Tile and Grout Efflorescence:
- You should first remove the shower drain cover to clean out the drain.
- Next, scrape off the bulk grout and tile efflorescence.
- Next use Zido chemical on the left over residue. This chemical attacks the build-up and salts of minerals and
- calcium on the grout and tile, loosens them and easily removes them from the tile without damaging them.
Waterproofing Grout After Cleaning:
Regardless of how well you clean your shower tile and grout, stains will reoccur. This is because both the surfaces are porous and tend to absorb water and dirty liquids repeatedly. To prevent re-staining, you need to seal your tile and grout to create a waterproof layer on them. Both tile and grout need to be sealed separately. Many contractors only offer to seal tile. But, if done so, the moisture present inside the grout will invite mold development, giving a hazy look under the tile sealant.
You should seal your grout to prevent re-staining again. This can be done with Caponi – a titanium-based solvent epoxy/resin that is available in more than 40 hues. It seals the grout and makes it water-proof.
Here is How you can Use Caponi:
- Once the grout has dried, you can use Caponi. It is recommended to use a paint brush to apply Caponi.
- You need to apply Caponi in smooth and even lines. Do not miss any part of the grout.
- After applying Caponi on the grout lines, you can wipe off the excess build-up using Alco – a paint thinner.
- While sealing grout with Caponi, it is recommended that you use a high-quality grout painting brush and Alco – paint thinner, to get the perfection and finesse that experts deliver.
Next, you need to seal your tile. Tile should be sealed with topical sealers that make the surface water-proof and prevent water absorption again. pFOkUS’ Celine – a topical clear resin, solvent based sealer seals your natural stone tile without appearing bulky. It makes your tile and grout waterproof.
Here is How you can Use Celine:
- Celine is a topical sealant that needs to be applied in smooth coat over the tile and grout. You can also apply it with an applicator tool. After the first coat dries, you will get a semi-glossy finish.
- Let this first coat dry for 48 hours.
- You will notice that the water will remain like droplets on the surface unlike before application of this tile and grout sealer – Celine, when the water used to get absorbed quickly.
- The second coat should be applied after 48 hours only. Apply it patiently over a period of time and let it dry completely.
- If you have sealed the grout with Caponi – a solvent based resin/epoxy grout sealer, you can apply Celine after 30 minutes.
Once you have cleaned stains, mold and efflorescence, repaired cracks and replaced damaged caulk and sealed bathroom floor grout and tile, you have done the restoration of your floors. Next, you need to focus on your bathroom walls.
Just like bathroom and shower floors, even the walls get dirty, stained and cracked. Although, you may find less issues on the rest of the bathroom walls, the shower walls get maximum dirty and damaged. The main problems faced by bathroom walls are:
- Hard water stains
- Mold and mildew occurrence
- Cracks in tile and grout
- Recurring stains and mold even after cleaning
Just like you cleaned the floors with Imperia Deep Clean, you need to clean the walls as well with Imperia Deep Clean. It will immediately remove all the hard water stains, mold and mildew from the walls, leaving a sparkling clean surface beneath.
Cracked Grout and Tile Repair:
After cleaning, if you notice any cracks in your tile and grout, you need to repair these with Sentura, the same way as explained above. You can shade Sentura in more than 40 color options to match your required color.
Sealing Grout and Tile to Prevent Re-Staining:
Once you have repaired the cracks in the tile and grout, you should seal the grout and tile separately, the same way as you did for the floor using Caponi and Celine. Sealing will give you a waterproof tile and grout wall that will not get dirty or stained easily.
Once your shower and bathroom walls are clean along with the floors, you can concentrate on the glass surfaces, tubs and sinks to get a fully healthy and hygienic shower.
Shower Glass Doors and Shelves:
You install glass in your shower doors and sometimes in shelves and cabinets too. These too get dirty and stained in a bathroom. The maximum affected are the shower glass doors that face constant water splashes and soap scum accumulation. They also get etched by acidic cleaners. Regardless of how often you clean them, they keep getting stained again. The main problems faced by glass surfaces in a bathroom are:
- Hard water stains on shower glass doors
- Soap scum accumulation
- Etching on glass doors because of acidic cleaners
- Leaking or damaged shower door enclosures
- Re-staining even after frequent cleaning.
First, you need to focus on cleaning all the glass doors and shelves in a bathroom and shower. Next, you can proceed to sealing the glass surfaces to prevent re-staining. Lastly, you need to check for the damaged enclosures and replace them.
Cleaning Glass Doors and Shelves:
Glass doors and shelves get dirty by hard water stains, soap scum accumulations, etch marks due to acidic spills from acidic cleaners and soaps and shampoos. These can be cleaned by using an impactful glass surface cleaner – Benaz.
Benaz is a premium-quality glass cleaner from pFOkUs that impactfully removes all the filth, dirt and stains from your glass.. It easily gets rid of all stains, dirt, mold and impurities on your glass surfaces and gives you a sparkling surface with an ideal clarity. Low quality products only remove stains but do not deal with etching. Acidic cleaners also damage the glass surface. Benaz imparts an ideal clarity and cleanliness to your shower glass door. Benaz is also used to clean cultured marble tile and sinks in a bathroom.
Here is How you can Use Benaz on Glass Doors and Shelves:
- Apply some benaz on the applicator and rub it gently over the surface in gentle motions.
- Massage the surface in gentle strokes and then clean with a soft cloth.
- You will find a clear and clean surface below.
Sealing Glass Doors and Shelves:
Even after frequent cleaning, you can prevent the re-staining of your glass doors and shelves, especially in areas that receive hard water from their taps. The only way to prevent the recurrence of stains is to seal the glass surfaces.
Our powerful glass sealer – Valore shields the glass from hard water. Valore forms a hydrophilic surface on the glass thereby preventing further hard water dots formation.
Here is How you can Use Valore Sealer:
- If you have cleaned your glass with Benaz first, wait for some time to dry it completely.
- Next, spray shower glass sealer – Valore on the full glass surface.
- Wipe clean with a soft and dry cloth. Valore sealer forms a protective coat on the glass surface with just one coat application.
- Now when you splash water on the surface, you will be surprised to find the water not forming any droplets on the surface. It bonds to the glass surface, makes it waterproof and prevents stains, hard water dots, dirt and germs from adhering to the surface.
Damaged Shower Door Enclosures:
Shower door enclosures like seals, sweeps, drip rails or thresholds are fixed on shower doors to prevent the water flowing inside the showers from leaking outside. These help to keep the rest of the bathroom area dry. But sometimes, doors still leak due to damaged enclosures or faulty installations. These can be fixed by replacing the enclosures with better quality ones. pFOkUS has a wide range of shower door enclosures.
Here is When to Use pFOkUS Enclosures:
Shower Door Sweep:
Our shower door sweeps are manufactured from a high-quality polycarbonate material. Our sweeps prevent leakage owing to their seamless design and high-quality engineering. These sweeps can easily push on the bottom of the glass door as they have strong grip.
Framed and Frameless Door Seal:
Our shower door seals are crafted from rubber, vinyl or polycarbonate. Each shower door might have a different seal requirement. Our seals are not only very thin and light-weight, they are also very flexible as they are made with a very flexible material. There are 7 different varieties of seals, each in a different size and design. Frameless door seals from pFOkUS are designed with the same materials as the framed ones are made. pFOkUS manufactures 12 varieties of seals such as push on, pre-taped and certain others which need a double sided tape. All the 12 frameless types have different colors, shapes, sizes, lengths, widths, uses and finishes.
Our shower door thresholds are engineered from aluminium blocks and feature a seamless design. Our thresholds have the sleekest design and do not ruin the look of your showers. Sometimes, sweeps are insufficient to close very large gaps. Our threshold helps in closing those big gaps. These are available in different colors such as white, gold, brush nickel, chrome and oil-rubbed bronze color.
Once your floors are cleaned, repaired and sealed, walls cleaned, repaired and sealed, glass surfaces cleaned and sealed, enclosures replaced, you have pretty much done the maximum restoration required to get a healthy and hygienic shower. What remains is tub and sink restoration.
Bathroom Tub and Sink Cleaning, Repairing and Maintenance:
Relaxing in a tub bath is what comes first to your mind after a long tiring day at work. It is for this reason that you need to maintain it with proper care. Bathtubs often start peeling and chipping. Nobody likes to bathe in such a tub. There are several bathtub restoration kits available in the market. But, the pFOkUS tub maintenance kit is the best. You will get a tub stripper to first strip off the pre-existing sealant. Then, you need to clean it with Imperia Deep Clean. After that, you need to seal and coat the tub with Saponi, provided in the kit.
pFOkUS products are designed in such a way that they can help you carry out the entire healthy and hygienic shower restoration in a do-it-yourself way. We have detailed instructions on our website and some FAQs regarding each product and procedure to help you carry out the task easily. But, if you feel you need experts to do it for you, you can hire D’Sapone – one of the leading stone, tile, grout, glass, brick and tub restoration service providers in the US. They have patented procedures and highly-trained artists who carry out the restoration procedures expertly. They only use our products to carry out their restoration and also offer a 5 year labor warranty on their services.