Marble tile is a costly investment! The last thing you would want is to find cracks and chips on...
How to Seal Grout?
Subscribe Us to get notified whenever we post a blog with useful info.
Grout, the joining material between two tiles has more characteristic than merely holding the tile together. It is made of cement and sand and hence is porous. It tends to absorb water into its pores, leading to mold and mildew breeding. It also absorbs dirt, dust, food and beverage spills and gets stained and discolored. A dirty grout makes your flooring look dirty too. Furthermore, it also cracks or goes missing after some time. The only solution to these problems is to seal grout. In this blog, we will explain the benefits of sealing grout with a high quality solvent sealer and will also mention how to seal grout.
Benefits of Sealing Grout with a High Quality Solvent Sealer:
- Quality grout sealing prevents it from getting discolored.
- When you seal your grout with a strong solvent sealer, you apply a layer of waterproof substance on it, thereby making it resistant to moisture-absorption.
- Sealed grout also does not crack or go missing, because it does not absorb any dirt or liquids that can weaken its pores.
- Once your grout lines are intact, there is no fear of getting your tile joints loose.
- Once you have sealed your grout, there is no possibility of mold or mildew breeding at the root level. In unsealed grout, these would breed inside the pores easily and then quickly spread to the rest of the surface.
- Sealing helps preserve the integrity and beauty of your grout and keeps them intact for long.
How to Seal Grout?
The best way to seal grout is with pFOkUS’ Caponi, which is an epoxy grout sealer built on a rock-solid 2-part solvent titanium resin/epoxy foundation. Caponi is available in more than 40 colors that are neutral and earthy. Because of its strong titanium base, it never pops from the surface and also seals the grout in just one coat while waterproofing all the grout lines. Below we have mentioned how to use Caponi.
- You need to first clean your tile and grout with Imperia Deep Clean to ensure complete sanitation and cleanliness. You should never seal dirty grout as it will result in hazy looking grout lines.
- If your grout is missing and broken, first fix the cracks and missing grout with Sentura – a 2 part pigmented flexible solvent epoxy resin with a 1200psi adhesion.
- Once your grout is completely dry you can begin with grout sealing.
- Caponi comes with part A and part B that should be mixed separately in a container with a mixing stick which comes in a Kit.
- Coat the sealer over your grout lines with a paint brush.
- It is recommended to use a paint brush from pFOkUS to apply this sealer.
- Using a paint brush, make smooth and thin strokes over your grout lines with Caponi. Take care to cover every part of grout, not leaving any portion.
- While sealing grout, keep on applying Alco – a paint thinner and reducer to the brush to prevent Capony from drying.
- After the Caponi application, some extra build-up is natural. You can clean this with Alco.
- Lastly, you can apply a tile grout sealer – Celine to seal your tile as well.
Do’s and Don’ts on Grout Sealing:
- Do not seal grout until it is completely dry. If any moisture remains, it will lead to a hazy looking surface beneath the tile sealant.
- Do not seal grout before repairing it. You can first repair cracked or missing grout with Sentura – a two-part pigmented flexible solvent based epoxy/resin formulation built on 1200psi adhesion. It is necessary to repair grout before sealing, else it will look untidy.
- Ensure that you use a paint brush for applying grout sealant to get straight and thin lines. If you try applying it with your fingers, you will not get a perfect look.
- Also, buy Alco and paint brush too if you are planning to seal grout. Without Alco, you will not be able to deliver perfection and neatness, as it removes all the extra build-up.
If you find the procedures to be too overwhelming, you can contact D’Sapone – a leading grout restoration service provider for this job.